Monday, July 5, 2010

Local Orchards for Picking Produce

This year I attempted to pick strawberries with my 4 year old and 2 year old for the first time. After checking out several different orchards online, I decided to head out to Barefoot Farms in Dover. Prices at each of the orchards that I checked were comparable, but Barefoot Farms had a small play area for the children within sight of the fields. (I later learned that this is just during strawberry picking season.) With children this young, I ended up picking most of the berries, but the kids certainly enjoyed eating them right from the plant! The berries were very sweet, and in about 30 minutes I had two quarts picked despite the occasional distraction and need to rescue my children. I look forward to making this an annual outing. There is "Pappy John" near the farm, but it is a little walk so make sure the children use it before you head out to the fields!

If you decide to go, be careful, different orchards have slightly different time lines and different produce crops. I know Barefoot Farms had strawberries for at least a week after some of the other orchards were done. Before heading out to pick, make sure you call to verify hours and fruit still in season. Depending on the farm, you can pick strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples, and pumpkins.

Other orchards to check out:
Oak Grove Farms (Mechanicsburg)
Strites Orchard (Harrisburg, Dauphin Co)
Ashcombe (Mechanicsburg)
Paulus Orchard (Dillsburg)
Brickers (Carlisle)

The following link lists a few of the pick your own produce sites with prices and hours. It's a little outdated, but may still be helpful. Comparing pick your own produce farms


I'd be eager to hear other's experiences at these orchards or others. I'll be happy to edit the posting as needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment